Monday 13 May 2013

A PANDAS CONCEPT OF FREEDOM.

"Do you like it here?asked TT. (that came right out of the blue.) she was looking at me with a glint in her eye.
"I think so" I replied tentatively.
"Think? you either do or you don't. Do you not realise we cannot step outside the front door. The penguins have more freedom than us.
"Freedom is a generalized idea or notion, I said.
TT. asked me if I would like another black eye.
I like it here,its warm ,cosy in fact.We get more than enough to eat,drink, I like water, anyway what has brought all this on?
Its in the air.
Whatever do you mean, its in the air? I cannot smell anything.
"No, no, its a feeling I get when I observe all those people looking in on us. They are free.
"Not all of them surely?
"We are in here, they are out there. They can come and go as they please.
"I feel safe in here. Its like being in a warm cocoon.
"Is that all you want out of life, to be safe, let others make decisions for you?
"No need to shout TT.,its a big world out there."
"Me, TT. I do not want to be confined, shackled."                                                                           
"Shackled?
"I'm speaking metaphysically.I crave the wide open spaces.(wherever did she get that from?most probably from the penguins, they can be quite Bolshie sometimes) I want to be mistress of my own destiny. Do you ever look, really look at the humans on the other side of the glass. Basically there are two kinds, people from far away lands, temporary free and glad of it.Then there are the others, indigenous peoples from this very land that we are inhabiting at this moment in time and with whom  I think we have common cause."
"Explain".
"I think that the humans that I identify with  want the same as me"
What?
"I don't know , I cannot put it into words, but I know there is something there."
"TT. being completely honest I have not got a clue what you are on about.Not a clue, hold on , hold on there, you've been conversing with the Semimonkey, yes you have ,yes?
"I have , but he doesn't influence me in the slightest. He talks, I sometimes listen".
"Oh'yes, what would you do if the Keepers opened the gates and allowed you  to make your own way in the world?"
"You would come with me, wouldn't you?
"Sure stepping into the great unknown, that would be  lovely. Where would we live, how would we keep ourselves. Its cold outside, you know?"
"The Semimonkey intimated to me that we could easily take care of all our expenses, through diligence and employing the services of a financial advisor. We would purchase a large park ,with trees and an orchard and a swimming pool and a home cinema"
"Home cinema?"
"OK. TV.room" People would pay good money to see us in our natural surroundings. I'm sure we could make a success of it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.Plus remember what befell Little Timmy"
How could I possibly forget"
The same fate could happen to us, as well you know."
"Yes,Yes and that is a good reason why  we should try and negotiate our freedom.
"We would have to pay our Masters, those that live on the banks of The Yellow River, the same people that frighten the poor people of Tibet."
"How sad it all is TT.is there any hope for us?
"We can only use our very best endeavours and the insightfulness of the Semimonkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment